Friday, January 14, 2011

"Try Me" Thursday, a day late...

I have a food for "Try Me" Thursday, and I tried it before Thursday, but I didn't take any pictures of it in the daylight so I'll take some tomorrow.  But I know that's not as exciting.  I always enjoy reading blog posts that have pictures more than those that don't.  Anyway. What did I try?  The Aldi "Laughing Cow" cheese!  Or, more appropriately, "Happy Farms Light Spreadable Cheese Wedges".  It comes in two versions, Regular and Light.  First of all, there are only six wedges of cheese, where as LC has eight wedges.  They're packaged the same; in a foil wrapper with a little tab that you pull to get the foil off.  Easy to open and spread.  The nutritional stats for the Aldi version are a bit better than LC, the light cheese has 25 calories and 1.5 grams of fat per wedge and LC has 35 calories and 1.5 grams of fat.

Alright, those are the details, but how did it taste?  Well, it was kind of a disappointment, really, but I had high expectations for this product; approaching it from a more neutral perspective, I'd have to say that it was okay.  This cheese is a soft, spreadable cheese.  You can spread it on crackers, in celery, etc.  I spread it on crackers. It did have a processed taste, but I'm used to that, so that didn't really bother me that much.  It actually tasted a lot like the white American cheese you get in slices.  Different from LC, not really better, but different.  It would probably be really good on celery or apples, something sweet maybe.  It was kind of salty.  Anyway, would I buy it again?  Yes, because I can't buy LC for a year!  But I would choose LC over Aldi's version, I'm sad to say...:(  However, I think I'm going to try the regular version, too.

Hmmm, two products tried, two not so good!  Bummer, but I will say again that there are A LOT of GREAT products at Aldi!  Just this week there was a discussion on facebook about brownie mixes, and while I suggested they make their own from scratch (which they ended up doing!!), you know I had to mention that Aldi has a GREAT brownie mix!  Try it, you will LOVE it.

Lastly, we had to make an impromptu trip to Aldi tonight.  We were out of milk and a couple of other things.  I just don't think $50 a week is going to cut it for us...we spent $20 and bought a couple of things we didn't need (ahem, sundae ice cream cones...), but mostly just essentials we were out of.  So I don't know.  I'll try to stick it out through January, two more weeks on $50.  I'll post pics and what we bought tomorrow.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment