Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day Doughnuts

When we woke up this morning there was about 6 inches of snow on the ground!  It had been snowing since Sunday night, off and on and has been blowing and drifting today.  I don't think its going to be melting anytime soon--it's COLD outside and supposed to get even colder the next few days.  John came in and said he was cold, so you know it's cold out there!

Yesterday EVERYONE it seemed was off school and while we don't have "official" snow days in our house, the first snow day and major snow of the season always reminds me of these "doughnuts" my mom used to make when I was a kid.  As we got older, it seemed like she often made them on snow days, in fact, I can remember John's old, beat-up white truck skidding to a halt in front of my house on snow days in high school and my mom frying these at the same time!

This is not really a recipe, and anyone that eats at Chinese buffets has had these before.  Basically they're cheap old canned biscuits, fried and rolled in sugar.  That's it!  Knowing that we'd have these one morning, I picked up a can of biscuits at you-know-where on Sunday.  You can cut out the "holes" with whatever's on hand; I used the cap to a 2-liter Coke bottle.


My mom always fried them in Crisco, so that's what I normally use.  I've used vegetable oil, too, and really couldn't tell the difference.  I used Crisco this morning.  Just fry a few at a time; they cook up quickly!


Drain for a minute on paper towels and roll in sugar.  Be careful when giving them to kids right away; they're very hot!  I know that's kind of a "duh" point, but its easy to forget...they don't seem as hot as they really are!


Hmmm...looks like there are a few holes missing!  Anyway, serve to hungry kiddos...don't forget the milk and a washcloth; these are very messy...sticky sugar mess everywhere after they're done.  Oh, well!  And make sure you eat them all, and quick; these have a very short window of time that they're really good.  After about 10 minutes they get cold and chewy--not so good.  



Enjoy the snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment