Saturday, January 22, 2011

"Try Me" Thursday #3

Yes, I know it's Saturday...but let's pretend I'm on time with TMT, okay?  ;)

This week's product for TMT is a winner!  Yep, the whole family gave it a "thumbs up"!  We've actually had this several times before; it's a great last minute meal that you can keep in the freezer for those nights when you're in a hurry or just don't feel like cooking something from scratch.  I think sometimes it gets overlooked at Aldi, and I'm not sure why.  It's in the frozen section with the Chinese stuff, because, it is a Chinese meal! (duh, right?)

Here it is:  Mandarin Orange Chicken


This particular meal only has chicken and sauce in it; there are other frozen meals that have chicken, veggies, rice and sauce (which are great, too!), but those are for the microwave and feed about two people.  The chicken and sauce in this one are separate--this has two sauce packets included.  This meal is $4.99, a pretty good price for a frozen meal like this--probably not your most cost effective option for every day, but like I said, good in a pinch, and honestly, it tastes just like the sweet and sour chicken you would get from Chinese takeout, but I'll get to that in a minute.  

This fed our family (except Luke) with no leftovers, so it would probably feed three adults.  I also served it with plain white rice and steamed veggies (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower).  We did have one sauce packet left over, because the sauce, while "orange-y", is also quite ginger-y and therefore spicy.  The girls ate their chicken with sweet and sour sauce (a SB from a couple of weeks ago!).  

All you have to do to make this is bake it!  Here's what it looks like straight out of the bag (this is the whole bag):

And just so you don't hurt yourself, Aldi has added this handy warning on the back of the bag:


Why, thank you, Aldi, for reminding me!  I had almost forgotten about that.  

I think you can microwave the chicken, but I would NOT recommend doing that.  You want the chicken to be crispy.  It took about 20 minutes at about 400 degrees for the chicken to cook.  During that time, I cooked the rice and veggies.  Easy!

Here's what it looked like all plated up and pretty:


The verdict:  Really good.  We all liked it.  You know a meal is a winner when there is no talking, just chewing, which is what I heard at the dinner table during this meal!  I also wanted to mention that it is actually white meat chicken, real chicken, not pressed and formed stuff!  I tried to get a picture, but I'm not a great photographer, so here's the best I could do:


And, seeing someone's plate of half-eaten food is not the most appetizing thing to view on a blog, either, but I'm just trying to show that its real chicken.  You understand, right?

So, to recap: great meal, good price, easy to fix, kids like it!  That's a winner!  



No comments:

Post a Comment